I will remember how the slanted light
visited my room, and how the clock
I mended - so many years ago - measured
the flow of then through now to next
dropping each steady second in the pool
of such time as is left. They drop like stones.
Somewhere the furniture that lived with me
will still be knocking about. My chair. My desk.
The little bed I dreamed on, waited, wept,
now are all gone, to dustiness, to sales
and nothing to hold but untold memories.
A floorboard creaks, door closes, last look back,
and then the turned key, prisoning the heart.
Tess at Willow Manor offered Andrew Wyeth's picture "Big Room"
for this week's Magpie prompt.

.. bittersweet. Lovely writing.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! "measured the flow of then through now to next
ReplyDeletedropping each steady second in the pool of such time as is left" had me stop breathing for a few seconds. :)
I like the way you construct 2 (fairly) literal pictures of preparing to leave your room, then, in the last 3 or 4 words of each of the 2 stanzas, you give us a powerful and melancholy image of the emotional effect of leaving. Good poetic thinking.
ReplyDelete(I wonder how many readers followed the embedded link back to your memorable "Mending the clock" poem.)
Thank you, Doctor. I'm still fond of that poem.
DeleteI will remember how the slanted light
ReplyDeletevisited my room, and how the clock
I mended - so many years ago - measured
the flow of then through now to next
dropping each steady second in the pool
of such time as is left. They drop like stones."
I just kept re-reading this....really wonderful....
Beautiful poem! :)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful! Your words reach my heart.
ReplyDeleteA delight to read from start to finish - at any time! LOL
ReplyDeleteTrellis Blog may make you smile-
ReplyDeletebut your Magpie is aye worthwhile!
And so say all of us...
DeleteAnd me!
DeleteAh, such a poignant write. I loved this and thank you for the goosebumps.
ReplyDeleteYour words "They drop like stones prisoning the heart" and I weep to write such. Very, very nice Lucy.
ReplyDeleteThank you Gautami. I'm sure I would appreciate your comment more if you didn't copy it to every Magpie you visit . . . .
ReplyDeleteI REMEMBER that clock poem and went back and re-read it! Thank you for linking it. And this is a sentimental journey most do take at one point or another. Sad, really, for those who never have a place they call "home".
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful, Lucy! I love the first stanza and the description of time, "the flow of then through now to next".
ReplyDeleteAnd I remember just such a desk, a chair and a little bed that of course I wept on.
Thank! And thanks for visiting me. I like your blog.
I love the seconds that drop like stones into the pool of time, and the "turned key, prisoning the heart." The measurement of time "then to now to next" echoes your earlier poem, too. I liked that (the conceit, and esp the poem) very much. Beautiful and sad; all those memories locked up. Thank you for this--and for your kind comment at my blog.
ReplyDeleteI like the clock part, too. Lovely anticipation of nostalgia!
ReplyDeleteExceptional piece of writing. Lovely is not a good enough word.
ReplyDeletePlease don't anyone who used the word 'lovely' take exception - it was not said in the context of a put down at all.
DeleteDear Bee, thank you. But isn't it amazing that Blogger seems unable to cope with an apostrophe in your blogname!
DeleteSo that's what it is! Now to try to rectify it! Thank you!
DeleteIngin memainkan permainan Q-Kick dengan lebih mudah dan cepat, disarankan bermain dengan menggunakan Aplikasi Bobol Q-Kick.
ReplyDeleteInfo Jitu
Hoki pasti