Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Magpie Tales, 18th July

Oh, How Lovely Is the Evening!


  I was invited for drinks and canapes in the Principal's Residence along with other post-graduate students from the Departments of Mathematics, Computing, and Anthropology. Must have added up to fifty or sixty of us. The Residence is in the South Quadrangle in the mock-Gothic part of the University. It's Grace-and-Favour, of course, but the Principal was forever quipping that "Margaret and I have to put up with living in a tied cottage!" Some stonework renovations were in progress and right in front of the windows facing onto the quadrangle, a tastefully placed rubbish skip with a wide plastic chute from an upper floor of the cottage, for conveying debris.
   The Principal - a really nice man, it must be said - and his tiny wife, so welcoming, so friendly, from time to time hosted gatherings for all the post-grads in the University, and - fair do's - they didn't tap some slush fund to pay for them, but bought in the stuff themselves.  I used to see them on a Saturday mornings in Tesco, a trolley each, groaning with liquor and frozen sausage rolls, in their padded anoraks. They sort of knew me and nodded and they were, yes, really nice, friendly guys.
   "Come away in, dear," said Mrs. Principal, very Scottish, when I pressed the door-chime. "Montgomery tells me you're Computing?  Lauren . .  ?"
   I had to decide whether to be Lauren for the evening, and compromised. "But everyone calls me Lucy."
   "I see you in your pixie, don't I?"
   I guessed she meant my Peter Storm kagoul with the hood up against an East Anglian blizzard. There's really nothing between here and the Urals and we got some rare blows. I decided she was sweet.
   She led me into their big ground floor lounge. The rubbish chute was right outside the window. The Principal in shirt sleeves, chinos and loafers was pouring out and handing drinks.  A tall guy took one and passed it in to me.
   "Thanks!"
    "Zack Chesters," he said. "Anthropology. Masks."
    "Lucy. But Mr. and Mrs. seem to think I'm Lauren.  Masks what?"
    "Say again?"  He had a nice beard and a pleasant grin and seemed an O.K. guy.
    "You said anthropology masks. But not what."
    "Let's start again, Lauren or Lucy. . . "
   So we got him sorted out. Zack Chesters. Researching African war masks in the Anthropology Department.  He made a mock-leery face and said how he had lots of masks scanned into his PC and I must come up and see them some time.  We talked about war masks and wars and argued whether the International Space Station was a waste of money. He said you shouldn't put a price on human curiosity and so on, the usual earnest discussions that students have before life and writing their dissertations start beating them up. And we had a few glasses of wine, or a few too many, Tesco's finest, until the Principal tapped a glass with a spoon to call for silence. I leaned against this interesting Zack and he said "Sshhh!" rather too loud, drawing glances, and I had to stifle giggles.
   The Principal made us welcome and then turned to face the window and apologised for the rubbish chute spoiling the view.
     Years on, and I still go hot and cold when I think about it.
     I said, "You can chute the drunks straight into the skip."
     Oh, the horror! The horror!
    The silence stretched. I staggered slightly. Zack said in a TV sort of voice "I'll get her coat!" and at last everyone laughed and Mrs. Principal fetched me a chair and the evening went on its cheery way.
    Later, Zack said "I'll see you again, Lauren or Lucy?"
   I had a post-it in my bag. I scrawled my extension in the Computing Department. He put a hand on my shoulder. "It's O.K, Lucy. Everyone was a bit . .  they won't remember in the morning."
   Maybe not. But I will never, ever, ever forget.


(My response to Tess Kincaid's prompt which you'll find with many others HERE)



15 comments:

  1. just as well, how else would you have been able to write this entertaining little tale about it.

    Lauren/Lucy wouldn't be the first, last or only ever post grad to have that happen to her/him; it's fun to tell a story against yourself so amusingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made a lot more sense after I realised my eyes had read "You can chute the DRINKS straight into the skip".
    "Good Lord!", I'd thought, "Tesco's finest isn't that bad!"
    Sorry - dyslexia ruled OK...LOL♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly know how to tell a story. My favorite bit? The mock-leery face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you certainly do! And one way you do it is by red-pencilling adverbs. You've a few colloquial "really's" and a "slightly" - but apart from those there's only one - the ironic "tastefully placed rubbish skip" that surely didn't happen by accident? Really a better than slightly good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear... *sigh* Hate to admit I am very well acquainted with similar situations so this hit home with me! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lucy:

    "You can chute the drunks straight into the skip."
    What a great way to break the ice! It makes perfect sense! Academia probably took time to think through your original concept and write a paper about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! One needs evenings such as this for raw material later! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are a real asshole for the horribly rude comment you left on my blog. this is a community of writers on magpie, why don't you learn to be supportive rather than dump all over other people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bloggers . . there's no comment that I can see on EcoGirl's blog left by me??

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, I too seemingly read what I wanted to see and had to go back and reread it.

    Fabulous write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good read, sets the reader-immersive mood immediately. Made me chuckle at my own similar memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed this mishap that wasn't quite one in the end....I loved some of the unique expressions though it took to me a few moments to understand...hope to come back more often.

    Sorry for the delayed reply...haven't been able to access blogs on Blogger for a week...a frequent problem with my Isp...anytime someone blogs against the govt/flaming stuff they block Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could use a chute like that......lol

    ReplyDelete