My sister was born at home, on my birthday, when I was eight. Gran came to stay even though Mum said she'd be alright, she'd manage, and when I came in from school Gran said "Well, Lucy. You have a little sister. Come and see." She took my hand and led me to the small bedroom that would be the nursery and we stood by the crib, looking down at the sleeping baby. I learned later, much later, that what I felt as I gazed at this mite, my eighth birthday present, my new sister, is called 'falling in love.' I knelt by the crib and stroked her baby hair and her tiny fingers and asked Gran what she was called and Gran said something so amazing I couldn't believe it. "Your Mum and Dad said because she came on your birthday and is a sort of twin, you can choose her name."
So I asked could she be Julia, because there was a ballet dancer in my reading book called Julia, but a sister was better than any dancer and Mum and Dad both said she would like her name and I wondered if I would ever tell her how she got it.
Now when I look back, her early years telescope into a handful of memories. Her first word is "Oosy." She holds my two hands and I go from room to room, backwards, helping her toddle. We become "Jucier and Looly." Some nights at bedtime she brings Sydney, her toy panda and stands by my bed, meaning can she come in for a cuddle and we pretend we are poor waifs lost in a dark wood until Sydney rescues us and we fall asleep. She shows me how you wiggle a loose tooth and gives me the first when at last it comes out. Yes, I still have it. Mum says sometimes when I am at school she lies where the sunshine comes in through the bay-window in the afternoon, and moves round with it till I get home, and then we make lego towers or houses till tea is ready and I watch her hands, so careful, and see her concentration, and I gulp with love for her.
Now when I look back, her early years telescope into a handful of memories. Her first word is "Oosy." She holds my two hands and I go from room to room, backwards, helping her toddle. We become "Jucier and Looly." Some nights at bedtime she brings Sydney, her toy panda and stands by my bed, meaning can she come in for a cuddle and we pretend we are poor waifs lost in a dark wood until Sydney rescues us and we fall asleep. She shows me how you wiggle a loose tooth and gives me the first when at last it comes out. Yes, I still have it. Mum says sometimes when I am at school she lies where the sunshine comes in through the bay-window in the afternoon, and moves round with it till I get home, and then we make lego towers or houses till tea is ready and I watch her hands, so careful, and see her concentration, and I gulp with love for her.
When I was fourteen, nearly, I became a woman. I told her what was happening and how sometimes my tummy would hurt. She asked if this happened to Mum and Gran and was wide-eyed when I told her this happened to all women and then she forgot about it, as children will. She was nearly six. But she gave me Sydney. She was “too old for him now, Loola. He can keep your sore tummy warm.”
She had her friends and I had my boyfriends and then all too soon, the same month she became her school’s triple-jump champion, she too became a woman. The school taught the mechanics. I told her about joy and yearning and heartbreak, how to be careful and that she could always talk to me, and then one day, out of nowhere it seemed, there she was, my bridesmaid, sixteen, poised and lovely, grown taller than me. I didn’t throw my bouquet. I gave it into her hands, Julia, my beautiful sister, and we began going our different ways.
My marriage was four years old and less than I had hoped it would be when she visited one day and told me she had been pregnant but had miscarried at the first trimester and had things to tell me. She looked wrecked. She didn’t want tea, or a drink. I went to the bedroom and came back with Sydney, and she knew what I meant. We lay down. I held her and let her cry, and that’s when my husband came in. He called “Hi, Luce,” from the hall and Julia said “Oh, My God!” He came into the bedroom and looked at us on the bed, and began shouting about what he’d always known. How I thought more of my fucking sister than I did of him and how we were a pair of lezzas. I got all of what was wrong with me and with our marriage, while Julia hid her face and sobbed until I said “For God’s sake shut up, Zack! She’s just lost a pregnancy.” He just said “Julia?” and went very still.
How could I not have known? Why did I not guess? She’d had things to tell me! Next thing I was screaming at them out of red caves of rage. I rolled off the bed, hauled my tall sister to her feet, called her a fucking bitch and punched her, punched my beloved Julia once, right where their baby had been, so she doubled over, retching. When they had gone I sat on the bed for hours, sometimes silent, sometimes wailing. Zack phoned first. I asked him not to come back. I was leaving him. I heard him begin to say something about Julia before I put the phone down. It was three days before Julia phoned. All she said was “Lucy, I betrayed you. But I’m not with Zack,” before I heard her phone go down.
How could I not have known? Why did I not guess? She’d had things to tell me! Next thing I was screaming at them out of red caves of rage. I rolled off the bed, hauled my tall sister to her feet, called her a fucking bitch and punched her, punched my beloved Julia once, right where their baby had been, so she doubled over, retching. When they had gone I sat on the bed for hours, sometimes silent, sometimes wailing. Zack phoned first. I asked him not to come back. I was leaving him. I heard him begin to say something about Julia before I put the phone down. It was three days before Julia phoned. All she said was “Lucy, I betrayed you. But I’m not with Zack,” before I heard her phone go down.
That was four years ago. She never writes, or calls. But several times a year, and always on our birthday, I get photographs by email. They are often mountain scenes; in the Cascades, Yosemite, the Chilean Andes. And recently, pictures of Save the Children projects in Africa, and at last, at last, one showing Julia, tanned and lean, wearing shorts and a big hat, reading to a group of rapt African kids. Love is a verb, not a noun. I email back – “Come home, Joo.” And her message says “In a while. How’s Sydney?” so that I cry, properly cry at last. It may be a little or a long while, but some day it will be the right day, when she truly feels she is forgiven as I now know she has forgiven me, and we are ready, both of us, to accept the other’s forgiveness, and can learn to be sisters again.

wow Lucy - that was gripping
ReplyDeletevery well written, moving without being overly sentimental, expressive and far-reaching
I am very impressed
Impressive writing from the heart.
ReplyDeleteDear Lucy: A page turner! Full of drama! Love the sensations you evoke; "stroked her baby hair", "loose tooth". I am not sure why the sister went beserk after the hub's verb abuse. Gritty and raw; hard edge writing! There is some reaching out which feels that time has forgotten or healed the sister's many wounds.
ReplyDeleteSo sad when life takes a turn from where we want it to go..so many fine details in this tale of love and loss...this flows without effort, a heart breaker for all..
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness ... your Magpie was gripping, kept me drawn in from beginning to end. Wow!
ReplyDeleteI was shocked - I didn't see the "punch" of the story coming. My youngest daughter loves her younger brother so much... she "gulps" with love for him... always has to touch him - first thing she does when she wakes up is check on him... I hope they never betray one another like this... Wow.
ReplyDeleteI like the way the narrator's voice "grows up" as the children grow up. And as usual in your spare writing, an almost complete absence of adverbs. Great Magpie.
ReplyDeleteGood, family-intimate work.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sad and well told tale. Anyone who has a sister must be crying like me.
ReplyDeleteWow... what a fabulous story... totally engrossing. I too, never saw the 'punch' coming in the end. Very powerful. I hope that one day she understands that forgiveness is hers for the asking.
ReplyDeletewhat a story- wow.
ReplyDeleteLOVED it!! Beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteWow... I didn't expect that turn of events. I love this story and your writing, which I can tell is a gift. Keep at it!
ReplyDelete...this is an excellent write Lucy... there's really nothing comparable with something done out of reality... i should say, i am deeply moved by this sisters' story... the descriptions, the twists, the emotions - all so very well pulled out in here... simply proves that no matter what you did against each other, at the end of the day, you're still sisters who just loved and cared for each other though both in a different way... thank you for the chance of reading your heart in here... 'love is a verb not a noun..' , it truly is... i believe.(:
ReplyDeleteBrightest blessings!
~Kelvin
Incredibly fine write!
ReplyDeletelove your sentence structure
ReplyDeleteyour cadence of line
the voice growing and changing
the vagueness of the betrayal...which only made it
more heartbreaking
and the separation that betrayal caused
not just by the lack of forgiveness
but from the lack of acceptance
so wonderfully done from this prompt
Very touching and indeed an unexpected ending!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful write Lucy - very impressive.
ReplyDeleteAnna :o]
Excellently written, i was hooked from beginning to end.
ReplyDeleteLucy, I really think you should turn this into a short story.
ReplyDeleteIt's a wonderful piece of writing.
Powerful, impressive write. I agree with Friko.
ReplyDeleteclever piece.
ReplyDeletekeep it up...
share 1 to 3 poems with poetry potluck week 41 today.