Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Magpie Tales#62

Our hostess, Willow at Willow Manor serves up a hearty breakfast. A real Willow Pattern prompt!

  
Not The Full Picture!

  I sometimes stayed at my Grandma's on Saturday and she would fry eggs for my Sunday breakfast and put them on a blue and white plate she called her willow pattern. The plate had a picture and when she gave me my breakfast she said a poem that told the story of the picture. The eggs covered most of the picture and I would eat the eggs bit by bit so that the things in the picture showed through the cuts I made in the eggs. Then Grandma said, "Don't pick at your breakfast, child!" because how was she to know what I was doing?  I had to remember the picture and the poem, and I had to make my cut-outs in the right order, and after a few breakfasts at Grandma's I got quite good at it. One Sunday I asked her could I have the little pointy knife she called her fruit knife.
  "Goodness, Lucy! What for?"
  "To make smaller holes. Please Gran?" All I wanted was to cut closer to the outlines of the birds, the little ship, the men on the bridge, the willow tree. It wasn't as if I didn't eat the cut out bits. I ate one piece while I worked out where the next hole had to be. Grandma made lovely fried eggs, just fried enough so the yolk wasn't so runny it filled up the holes. If it did I mopped it up with bits of toast so I could see the picture properly.
  Grandma frowned but gave me the knife from her knife drawer and went away to the telephone and when she came back, my eggs looked like a lace hankie with the fence and the apple tree and the temple and everything showing through. Then I ate the egg hankie and the toast and asked Gran what an eating disorder was.
  "I heard you on the phone talking about an eating disorder or something. That was a nice breakfast, Gran."
  "I'm happy to see you finished it. At last."
   After that, Grandma didn't always make fried eggs. Sometimes it was just cornflakes, or sausage and tomatoes on a white plate and all you can do with sausage is eat a little tiddy piece from one end and then a tiddy piece from the other till you get to the middle bit and eat that and that's not much fun, and I could do that at home anyway. When I asked Mum if we could get a plate with the willow pattern for fried eggs she said they were too expensive and too many fried eggs gave you colseterol or something so I put on my sulking face for a bit, which I would never do at Grandma's. Mum wouldn't tell me about eating disorder either and I didn't tell her about cutting holes in the eggs to show the picture.
  But I never forgot Grandma's little poem.

12 comments:

  1. Very nicely put together! Who hasn't 'played' with food? The adults never understand what's going on - or perhaps, if they scratch their memories, they do and sigh at the reminiscence. Lovely writing, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back memories! Mum used to buy little oblong sugared biscuits that had a 'picture' of a coffee/tea pot(?) on it, and I used to nibble away until I was left with the pot!

    Mashed potato had to be pink - made so with tomato ketchup!

    Oranges had to be accompanied with a sharp knife - and I would cut away some of the peel until I made a face.

    Playing with food was fun and also creative!

    Thanks for the memories Lucy!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  3. So misunderstood! Nice take on the prompt. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent story - do we all have rituals about plates and utensils and the way we eat food? I loved your sausage approach - I did something similar (maybe still do?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought we were going to be on the same tack at first. Loved yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No not OCD, just creative.

    (I'm glad you saw the darker second layer of my poem.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think Jinksy's interpretation should be discounted too readily, Tess. Maybe OCD is the darker second layer of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this story. I remember food rituals. The mashed potato volcano with peas in the middle was a favorite! There's a fine line between creativity and madness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to eat the segments of clementines/satsumas/tangerines one at a time, carefully peeling each segment first. I STILL DO! Good piece, LW>

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful read. I think we've all done something like this at some point whilst growing up. My 'every day' china was once a Willow set - my children used to do something similar!

    ReplyDelete