Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Magpie Tales#57

Willow at Willow Manor shows us this picture for her 57th. writing prompt.  Many more responses can be seen by following the link.




My Name is Violet

   Grandma told me about her mother, my Greatgran, who I can't remember.
  "She was an orphan, Lucy. A foundling." Grandma explained what a foundling was. I was eight or nine, I guess.
   "Where was she left? Was she warm enough?"  
   "Outside the Post Office. "
   "So she could be posted?"  Grandma tutted me. Tutting was the crossest she ever got. 
   "There was a ticket on the box she was in. It said 'My name is Violet.' She went into an orphanage." When Grandma explained an orphanage, I thought about Mum and Dad at home.
  "Gran . . when I come to stay with you, am I an orphan?" Grandma smiled, something that didn't happen very often. She fetched her photo albums from the bookcase nearly as high as the ceiling. 
   "I'll show you." We sat at the table. She gave me some lemonade she'd made herself. It was O.K., but not as good as Cola.
   "Here she is when she was a little girl about as old as you." We looked at a picture like the pictures they take every year at school, girls sitting in a row, another row standing behind. The photo had crease marks across it.
   "They all look thin. And sad. And their dresses are all the same. Are they all orphans? And why has that one got no hair?" I pointed to the orphan at one end of the standing-up row.
   Grandma said, "That's your Greatgran Violet." I looked at Grandma then, trying to imagine her without any hair. Or Mum. Or me.
   "What happened? To lose her hair."
   "There are dreadful things in this world, Lucy."
   "I know, Gran! She had nits." I thought about Mum's little black comb and how she said "Chop it all off. Best way."
   "The supervisors beat those children, Lucy. All the time. They called your Greatgran Little Violet NoName. They cut all her hair off because she couldn't remember 'Our Father'"
   I just looked at Grandma. The words my Greatgran Violet couldn't remember even though they cut off her hair came into my head. "Why, Gran?"
   "Then . . " I saw Grandma's jaw clench. "Then they painted her head and face and neck with stuff they used when the girls got skin rashes. Stuff called Gentian Violet. Then they laughed and told her she was a real violet now and to go away and learn her 'Our Father' and then they'd wash it off."
   Grandma got up and went to the window and stood very straight, looking out, and I saw her hands clenching and unclenching and I could tell she was angry.  I went and stood beside her and she put an arm round my shoulder and pulled me to her.
   "Her face stayed all purple till she could remember 'Our Father'? That wasn't fair, Gran."
   Grandma turned me to her and hugged me and I saw her eyes were full of tears, something I'd never seen before. "No, love. It wasn't fair." Then she said, "Look! Here's Dad coming to take you home. I'll get your anorak."
   When we got home I went to my bedroom and said 'Our Father' to myself, all the way through, just to make sure my hair would be safe.
   I was eight, then, maybe nine, old enough to want to keep my hair, too young to understand all that my Gran's story and tears had taught me.



35 comments:

  1. So much abuse was done to innocent children. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad but unfortunately true in many cases. A great write for this prompt. Wanted to thank you for stopping byy site I did link my first two episodes as suggested at the beginning you may have not noticed them thought it was clear. I make test larger....bkm

    ReplyDelete
  3. From first word to last ~ I was captivated by this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, splendid storytelling that made me sad and tearful yet happy for the moment with your Grannie and sharing memories that will be a part of you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...what a tale. This would be a book that I couldn't put down, and I'm not much of a reader. A very good read. A very good write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't stop reading this....very sad tale, but very well done. vb

    ReplyDelete
  7. a stunningly sad story- my Mom was put in an orphanage at the age of 4 by her parents along with her younger sister.She almost died because the nuns didn't believe her complaints of a sore tummy- she had appendicitis (sp?) and it burst before they finally got her to the hospital.
    I am lucky to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almost unbearably sad..one can only love the memory of Violet..bless the children who suffer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats so sad.
    but so meaningful.
    love it.

    and its okay, not everyone can read the tiny little fonts i choose on my blog... =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tale and very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a sad and captivating read. thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have pulled off something really difficult here: writing with a child as viewpoint (just count those monosyllables!) but conveying adult emotions, (successfully, judging by the comments here) Good technique throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for such a well-crafted and refreshing look at violet. I think we all feel rage on behalf of the vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad, yes, but a great story and beautifully told. Well done and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A believable child's voice told this sad tale...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent story and so very poignant. I loved this: "She gave me some lemonade she'd made herself. It was O.K., but not as good as Cola."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really very sad tale but so nicely done. Couldn't stop reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A gripping and captivating story Lucy...lovely writing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heartfelt!
    I gulped after I finished reading. Sad and poignant- very vivid.

    Not taking it to any obvious end was far more better- leaving at it- so the hurt stays..

    Very well written Lucy..
    Millions of Hugs xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  20. A younger child might think that someone could be posted - I doubt an eight or nine-year-old would!
    Was this child afraid of becoming an orphan? Did she regard 'the Lord's Prayer' as a kind of charm? Well written but I'm not quite sure why a child would have reacted so strongly. However, it is fiction (presumably) so all's fair;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for such kind comments. I will think about the ones that offer "critique" and suggestions.
    Jabblog . . I think you make a good point. "Lucy" in the story would be better, 4 or 5 perhaps.
    Doctor FTSE . . the monosyllables were quite deliberate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. you remind me of my own grandmother.
    well plotted lines.

    Glad to have you share and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful tale, so well written, but so very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Then they laughed and told her she was a real violet now"

    this plucked a heartstrng.
    Nice story :)



    Crying With A Sense Of Human

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a tender story, well written, I just love it. I'll say 'Our Father' today as well, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The granddaughter has a wonderful voice. What a sad tale.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderfully written; terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was a nice sweet and innocent little tale.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a strong story to the prompt. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Liked the innocence of the child in your story and a great way to introduce a difficult topic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well written piece. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete