Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Magpie Tales#52

Willow leaves us Magpie's Anniversary prompt this week -




Waiting

Do you remember our stone house
at the road's end, at the moor's edge
where gales raved in the sedges
where the clouds' low architraves
lay in leaden sheets, and the land
waited the primroses' return?

Do you recall the promises
we made, making the windows fast,
locking the door, locking in our words,
safe with the cobwebs and dust,
a promise to return to these
old stones, to rub the windows clean,
restock the shelves, lay warming fires?

The day we named has passed.
Rain drifts down from the distant hills.
I make my hands do their small tasks,
try not to wonder where you are.

23 comments:

  1. beautifully emotive, really liked the style of it, especially liked the line' do you recall the pormises we made'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very emotional piece, memories, wondering, waiting for answers to a promise made long ago. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every promise can not be kept, but instead becomes a memory forever! Nice write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this, I felt like I was staring out of a window that was tightly fastened but not obscured by curtains, seeing the ghosts of promises past walk on by, nearly invisible, but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent poem, spare, moving, well imagined.
    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't remember our stone house at the beginning, but by the end I did very clearly! A fine poem, very poignantly sewn up by the concluding stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is wonderful, I loved every word. So beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'the clouds' low architraves' is such a clever line in a poignant poem.
    How often have I looked at a distant cloud and noticed how flat they are on the bottom, like the top of a window frame, all below visible, all above blanked out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This touched me. I made a promise once as a child but I did not show up. I often wonder if the other person did...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ..."the day we named has past". Promises made and not kept. But meant so earnestly when said. Very nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite of yours to date. Gorgeous piece. The first stanza carried me away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. locking in our words,
    safe with the cobwebs and dust

    The epitome of sadness...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ... locking the door, locking in our words ~ my favorite line. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is good. You know exactly how not to say too much,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a poignant tale of this old house. I can see her inside, still waiting. Your descriptions are marvelous. I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.
    I really appreciate it.
    Love the way you write, so moving, just lovely!

    I'm going to follow you, I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautifully written. So much emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, God, Lucy. You broke my heart. Your words are spare and tight, such a terse rhythm, self-contained and bitter to swallow. I'm glad I came today, just rather leisurely checking in with some unfamiliars who follow my blog. Look into the Poetry Bus that travels today on my blog and others. You'd be welcome there. This was very beautiful.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful ending. Makes me want to know more.

    ReplyDelete