The prompt, at http://www.magpietales.blogspot.com/ is this jpg.
WARNING
After tomorrow's feast
there will be spread my entrails.
Men with my thigh bones
fixed in their hair, with white
stripes painted on the skin
will make flat-footed dancesround the mess that yesterday
drove my blood, my hunger,
and my raucous mornings.
Do you not know my bowels
predict invasions, tempest,
war? When rains come late
my liver tells it. The stars
are fallible. My guts
are not. My crop foretells
your crop, its excellence
or dearth. My blood has
soaked the Earth in cause
of prophecy. I am
an Evil Eye that maddens
men in thrall to ignorance.
I wake you, die to feed you.
That is my lot, except -
when all is done, my plumage
scorched, my flesh chewed up,
my ripped-out heart still pulses
with your fate. Watch me in awe.
Headless I can still run.
And I know when you will die.
Wow, that opening stanza is so evocative. Powerful piece, I had to read it twice!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the Mag!
Behold! The all knowing, all seeing Rooster!
ReplyDeleteMy crop foretells your crop. Clever. Very well written.
ReplyDeleteWow! An intriguing piece to be sure. So very fine!!
ReplyDeletewhew....i am a little scared now...but can you tell me when so i am prepared? smiles. nice mag!
ReplyDeleteI loved this overview of a chicken's fate. Glad your email lead me to it!
ReplyDelete"Watch me in awe.
ReplyDeleteHeadless I can still run."
Like the whole crowing, the rooster knowing.
This resonates in a very dark, primitive part of me. Kudos.
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing and wonderfully written Lucy...i love it! :-)
ReplyDelete