The prompt is at:- http://www.magpietales.blogspot.com/ and as usual, is a picture.
Between the Tick
the axe falls on Anne’s small neck,
or Catherine’s, or Thomas’s,
the Brutal strike bursts Caesar’s
heart. A wistful girl dreaming
by a fountain falls in love
her heart as surely bursting.
Sprung traps break the mouse’s back.
A huntsman at the first hedge falls.
A shark bites down. The first flake
falls on a frozen sparrow
tumbled from her twig. Between
the desire and the spasm
the beloved falls out of love.
drifts off like breath exhaled
while the girl by the fountain stares
after him, aghast. In other places
while goodbyes for now are made,
or a birthing cry is heard,
or, or through more and more
and more unnumbered ors
or, or through more and more
and more unnumbered ors
an avenger’s hate tears steel apart,
steals life, tears lives apart. And
men declaim on these different,
small, indifferent fates from tick
to tick to tick through tick

Your 'between the tick' is pure magic!
ReplyDeletewonderful pacing throughout this piece -- well done!
ReplyDeleteA very good poem, full of emotion and incident, in spite of its format.
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting my blog. I am much better at stories than poems; I read them but I don't really write any.
"Between desire and spasm", "aghast" - I like it!
ReplyDeleteexcellent...wonderful flow and pace...engaging read
ReplyDelete"A huntsman at the first hedge falls..."
ReplyDeleteI loved this poem from beginning to end, it has the flair and word love of an excellent poem. I'm delighted to have visited here and look forward to returning.
PS: Thanks for the comment on my blog, it is through that I'm here. :)
Well done, the pace of this piece keeps right with your tick to tick....
ReplyDeletealways so much, so very much that happens between the ticks..
ReplyDeletevery nice indeed...
"..Between
ReplyDeletethe desire and the spasm
the beloved falls out of love.." Just one of many high spots.
I loved this trip through the tunnel of ticks and tocks. Dark and delicious.
ReplyDeletegreat writing- wonderful to read
ReplyDelete