Saturday, 26 August 2023

Friday Writings #91

 Street Scene

The passers-by scarcely spare us a glance -
just a young couple, leaning on each other
hand-in-hand, pausing before shop windows,
choosing - for all they know - our bottom drawers.
They do not feel the pressure from his hand,
his fingers tracing, wordless in my palm,
easily decoded messages,
romancing me - this in the pubic street!
What's there to holding hands that's indiscreet?
Nothing.  But could they hear my churning heart
they'd look the other way, they would, and sigh
and wonder what became of hands they held,
of years that sped away and lovers too.
Well then, I think they should reminded be . . .
I seize his shoulders, turn him to me, cry
'How long since last you kissed me? Come on then!'
Now they'll take notice - me on tip-toes, he,
his hands tucked in my coat, drawing me close,
but whispering 'what on earth's come over you?
People are staring!'  That was the idea.
I murmur, 'wait till I get you home . . .' And now
they nudge each other, 'See those two!  So sweet.'


May I join in your Friday Writings?   My poem was inspired by the 'muscle memory' prompt.  The muscles went AWOL during the writing, but something of the memory remains.   


10 comments:

  1. You are very welcome to join us! And the poem's a delight. (Only, heads up – in line 6, you've left the last letter off 'palm'. Darned typos, eh!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best thanks, Rosemary. I have repaired line 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really anonymous. But it's easily done . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. A one-act play in a poem. Three characters, 'him,' 'her,' and 'the passers-by,' Your usual rejection of the so-called descriptive parts of speech, adverbs, adjectives and modifiers. How long did your fingers hover over the keys before you hit on 'churning,' which is surely worth a cigar or two.
    PS. Good to see you back. Where ya bin the last ten years?

    ReplyDelete
  5. '...fingers tracing, wordless in my palm'
    A secret message of love, the world over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perception is a tricky thing, especially when one doesn't have all the information. I'm anxious for her... I wonder what will actually happen when they get home.

    The tension was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muscle memory at an all time best!!!! Sigh~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb writing. I love this memory and wake-up call to passers-by. ("bottom drawers puzzled me a bit. Am I missing something?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Debi. "Bottom Drawer" is the collective name for the things/clothes/furniture etc that a bride-to-be has bought or been given before her marriage - a wedding chest, if you like.
      And thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  9. Oh that's sweet little wish , and hope he is turned right ...all for good muscle memory :)

    ReplyDelete